Let's Speak The Same Language

Friday, February 3, 2017

ONCE MORE INTO THE BREACH GOES THE BEATNIK

Found here:
I'm in pain. My hormone shot day before yesterday has made my left butt sore. Yesterday I had to walk up stairways by putting my right foot on a step, then bringing the left foot up beside it. Could put no weight on left leg. And so it went. I'm also in psychic pain because after 18 chapters of who-knows-how-many rewrites of Ghoul World, I'm going back to first chapter to begin again. Why? I thought I was being clever in setting my novel 250 years into the future, but I was doing it so I could cleverly talk about a time when the year 1700 had been designated as the beginning of the new First Century, AS [After Science] as compared to all that went before as BS [Before Science]. Get the pun? Of course the change created many problems, not the least of which was that I couldn't think far enough into the future for the story line and culture I was creating. I have begun to realize my novel just isn't fantastic enough to be 250 years in the future. And all these problems were just so I could pun around with BS, so now I'm forgetting all about BS and AS and setting Ghoul World in the not too distant future after an asteroid has hit Planet Earth and spread the Rotting Plague. Too smart for my own good. I have one other idea that steals from Solient Green, but it would create the need for an entirely new plot. The rewrite would be massive. Opposing all that is the thought never too far from my pre-frontal cortex that it's time to quit this hoping game.

No comments:

Post a Comment