Let's Speak The Same Language

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

NOT SO SILENT DISAPPOINTED BEATNIK BOOMER

Interesting experience with a poetry submission today. I sent four poems out on New Years
Here, for example was a troubled male...
Day and got them back today from Three Penny Review. Two days. Though nobody anymore comments except through form letters, I was disappointed by the brevity with which they were considered. The four poems take the point of view of very troubled males who have troubled relationships with the women in the poems. So many women these days are offended by such material that they can't recognize the quality of the poems. I will continue to send them out, hoping that someday, someone, somewhere will recognize their artistry. I have written a novel too with such a plot, and one Facebook woman said she would not read such material if she encountered it. Three of the poems were based on women I knew and the fourth was built out of the kind of loving/controlling mentality of some men who put women on pedestals only to try and control them for fear of their appeal to other men. Dostoevsky wrote a wonderful short story on just such a theme. I cannot recall its name. I will share one of the more lyric poems to get a reaction, if any is forthcoming. I was trying to employ the loving/threatening voice of a controlling male:  



A WOMAN LIKE FLOWERS

Oooh, I thinking, what would want me her
When carry I my briefcase life home to rest me?
I think me: a flower wee
To never drop her pretty petals
Even though transplanted into a watery myworld,
Crystal vase surrounding it, like …?
So pretty a world as who would complain of it?

A flower most delicate like orchids,
And always,
An opening to me face of sunflowers.
Rue, as of delicate small petals,
Trustworthy as perennials,
She to bloom under my careful tenderness
As who wouldn't?

O such a beauteous treasure
To sit so up highness on my mantelpiece
And me stare at from my flower-hungry eyes,
Secateurs held loosely in my tendering hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment