Let's Speak The Same Language

Monday, April 28, 2014

BEATNICK SILENT DOZING ALONG WITH THE TUMBLING TUMBLEWEED

Not writing today. Too tired, and several implausible sections in the Manning novel have become obvious and must be changed or worked around, and, as I said, too tired for intellectual labor today. Why am I tired? Just couldn't make myself go to bed last night until 1:15 am. Then for some reason I awoke at 5:30 am and could not get back to sleep for worrying about ... guess what? The recent changes in format at the Portland newspaper, The Oregonian. They've gone from a broadsheet version to a tabloid version. Looks so crappy on the newsstand, I fear people won't buy it. It's folded so poorly the front pages overlap the back pages by 3/4s of an inch. Hard to open that way. 

What's that, you say? I don't live in Oregon and don't subscribe to the Oregonian? Why worry, you say? Well I now know the Oregonian is owned by back-East moguls who have dictated the changes the Oregonian is undergoing. A major US city without local control of its destiny. I see its eventual demise as it struggles to cheapen the product. I know two people who say the news is cut way back, and they've quit subscribing. The end of print journalism will be one of the great forces that destroys American democracy. OK! So I'm fearful about nothing? Probably right, but this morning I couldn't talk myself out of worrying ... when I wasn't busy dozing....


My solution will be to spend most of the day, walking around in the sunshine, hoping to push myself back to writing tomorrow.

Hard to open that way. 
What's that, you say?
Why worry, you say?
[Well, I did write a poem today.]

No comments:

Post a Comment