Let's Speak The Same Language

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

BEATNICK, SILENT BOOMER GROWS MOSSY

in the uninspired memedome today
Except for this blog entry and interactions with others through my Facebook personality, I won't write much today. Nothing at all on the Manning novel. If it weren't for the knowledge that the current novel has the potential to earn a few dollars, I might quit working on it altogether and go sit on my ass while my skin grows mossy in the rain. Manning is a good tale because it set my skin tingling as I conceived it, but the day to day process of birthing it is proving a grueling ordeal. (90 pp by 3 months)

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Writer isn't always a fun movie these days. I recall when writing was pure joy. Watching the words come out of nowhere and build their relationships with each other, take their place in the essay or story, novel or poem ... that was pure joy, endlessly entertaining. Though the whole piece might end up in the circular file later and no financial success, nothing was lost because I was entertaining myself for free, playing happily with my own feelings, words and thoughts or, more coarsely, dabbling in my own shit.

I'll get back to Manning tomorrow and the mystery he's trying to solve 250 years in the future. Today, I'll live in the moment, watching people until my lovely wife comes home from work, and we can sit to watch something informative or mindlessly comforting on TV ... like "Law and Order: SVU" which, by now, is almost family. Or "Dexter" ... also like family?

Had a good time last night at the book party thrown by Curious Monkey Publishing at Ford Food and Drink on the corner of 11th and Division in Portland. Those things are fun when I don't drink anymore and hungrily yearn for every cool lady in the house. A happy marriage has great side benefits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment