Let's Speak The Same Language

Thursday, December 26, 2013

BOOMER'S SILENT NIGHTS IN OLD SPOKANE

My novel, Manning, has lain untouched for several days as Mertie and I have been in Spokane visiting family. We both have family here and our days are full as we try to touch base with as many as possible. We both have friends in the area, and we've only had time to make one or two contacts. Tomorrow, early, we'll drive back to Vancouver and back to our old haunts and routines. 

Good news for people who would rather hold a book in their hands than stare at an eye scorching bright screen. Books are holding their own against e-books which are showing flat sales recently.

Recently, I notice I enjoy reading the news in my newspaper much more than reading on the Internet. I admit my mind is unintentionally being biased by the fact that I follow up the shares of my Facebook friends and my incoming emails from the charities and political groups I contribute to. Without meaning to, I take in more news with a slant than without a slant. Over the Xmas holiday, I had a talk with a retired farmer and a Republican, one of my wife's family, and discovered that he and I agree on many things. There's a vast middle ground shared by Republicans and old Democrats like myself. It's only these hardline "True Believers" who are making all the noise and creating all the hatred, and we all know who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment