Let's Speak The Same Language

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

SILENT'S NOVEL IDEA COMES TRUE WAY AHEAD OF TIME


 Tammie Lou Van Sant, photo by USAToday
A futuristic novelist can't work fast enough to keep ahead of the technological world itself. No sooner does one of my characters in Manning say in describing one of several options for his new smart phone system to a friend, "You can get a pair of Chiptoman granny glasses with Earmax speaker/mikes, Eyemax combo screen and correctional lenses, and the communicator in the temple all together," then I look on the newstand at USAToday and read about Google's new wearable computer: 
Although a number of scientists have been toiling in obscurity since the 1970s on glasses that harness computing power, Google was first out of the commercial gate with a lightweight, voice-controlled device that features a small square prism just off the right eye and a touch-sensitive temple. Through voice and touch, Glass can shoot pictures and video, make and receive calls and texts, and access the Web.
I'm still ahead of them in several of my smart phone devices which can be bought and used in several combinations in the future, but I'm not mentioning how they haven't caught up yet. I think they might be reading my mind, and I need to sell the novel first.

No comments:

Post a Comment