Let's Speak The Same Language

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

THE SILENT BOOMER BEATS A RETREAT

Dear George,
We are pleased to inform you that we would like to publish your piece, "WORKING WITH MEN IN THE MODERN WORLD".
 
WORK Literary Magazine

So...another poem finds a nest, and the writer/poet is momentarily happy, but tomorrow is another day with its own moods and writerly problems. Publication date is not yet set. 

the old
Last post, I said I planned to take a break from writer's piston knock and drive to the Washington Coast. I did take that escape for a day, via Oregon's Route 30 through Astoria, an historic town at the mouth of the Columbia River. 

the new
The photos reveal two views from the same spot that I took while stretching my legs along Astoria's riverfront walk. The first represents old Astoria. The next photo which is 180 degrees opposite the first represents the new. There you can see the condominiums that now multiply on every beautiful place found beside the rivers of the United States—starting price $249,000. 

My imagination is always stimulated by sites that reveal the more rugged past in U.S. history. Beside that old fishery wharf, I imagine a saloon where fishermen drank and found solace in the arms of painted women. In my black and white imagination, there's always a bar and a painted woman, but those images, like the old and rugged days of fishing, are visitations from the past. They come straight out of Turner Classic Movies.

Next entry, if I remember to, I'll discuss an interesting lesson in dialogue that I'd have thought I long ago had learnt. (The construction of that last sentence is perfectly legal if somewhat quaint.)

No comments:

Post a Comment