Let's Speak The Same Language

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

SILENT BOOMER BEATS THE BUSHES FOR MARKETS

market research
As I continue to rewrite Delinquent Lives, I find the novel has a tighter structure than I thought. Close reading reveals chronological details I thought were missing, phrases like "three days later" or "last night" that I missed when I skimmed through. Like improving dialogue, finding the skeletal structure takes attention to detail.

This morning I sent off one of the essays that my local paper rejected to another market exclusive to the Pacific Northwest. I devoted four hours to discovering the new market, rewriting the essay to make it more market correct, and carefully following the submission guidelines. 

head shot
I found the new market by gathering up all the newspapers and magazines on the free literature rack in the lobby outside the Cascade branch of the Vancouver Library and studying them to see what to my wondering eyes might appear. I found a new age production which pays with a year's subscription. Again...no money, but isn't that all part of getting things published and building reputation? Submission guidelines also requested a head shot. See photos. 

Finally, I've not heard back from the senior publication which asked for writing samples and this blog address. Perhaps I'm  75 years too young (or immature) for the target audience these senior newspapers seek out. That's a definite possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment