Let's Speak The Same Language

Saturday, March 9, 2013

THE SILENT BOOMER AND FRIENDS

I used to think that for one to write well he (or she) must know himself extremely well, but then along comes Hemingway and other writers like him who was so lost he offed himself.
Ernie Shades McKnight
Maybe those who are busy knowing themselves well are the most romantic and self-observing types. They write one sort of literature and those who pay close attention to others write another type of literature which, of course, would be more objective and realistic. 
Geraldine

As the seasons turn, one type of writing rises to the top and next season the other sort of writing becomes popular again. Roughly you can see a progression like that from the Enlightenment to the Romantic and Transcendental Movement, followed by the Victorian Period which was followed by Realism and Naturalism. They in turn were edged out by the Existential writers who were followed by the Beats who were, if you ask me, romantics in their own way. Supposedly, we are now in the Post-Modern Era (since 1965), a cooler and more cerebral literature. I'm beginning not to care so much anymore if I understand anything about GREAT literature. The distinctions slip away and all one seems to care about is selling something, to stop suffering romantically and make a few dollars. Never mind if one's creations are literature or not.

Meet a couple of my friends who I think I know almost as well as I know myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment